Prevent Spotted lanternfly, Lycorma Delicatula From Killing Your Trees.
Spotted lanternfly, Lycorma delicatula, is a planthopper that is native to Asia and is believed to have been in the United States since 2012. These flies reproduce rapidly. A spotted lanternfly feeds on trees by piercing the bark and sucking the sap. This results in tree decline and death.
This is not something you want to have in your yard, especially if you’re trying to take care and maintain a tree. It has been classified as an invasive pest and a serious threat to the national grape, fruit tree, and logging industries. In fact it has been quarantined in Pennsylvania because of its destructive potential.
It was first detected in Pennsylvania in 2014, but it may have already been in the US since 2012. Spotted lanternflies have a wide range of host plants, but they strongly prefer the tree of heaven, Ailanthus altissima, which is itself classified as an invasive species in much of the United States.
Leaving the spotted lanternflies to feed and reproduce freely off these trees will likely cause irreparable harm to North American forests, as well as residential and commercial landscapes.
Your arborist can help manage or eliminate spotted lanternfly populations in your property. Work with Joel’s Pro Tree Services today and we can help solve this problem. It can be done through egg mass scraping, or removing 90 percent of the Ailanthus trees on the property. The remaining 10 percent of the trees can be used as “trap trees” to lure the spotted lanternfly for mechanical and chemical control.
Arborists can also use an insecticide treatment on the bark to kill actively feeding insects in the current and future seasons.
Work with us today and learn more about our pest control services!